[Book Talk] What Makes A Good Winter Read?

17:26 Cilla 10 Comments

image source: Crinity @ Flickr


Having grown up in a place where it was either rainy or dry, the four seasons never really mattered to me. It certainly didn't affect my reading choices; it's silly to wonder about 'the best summer reads' when it's summer all year round. Then I moved to a four-season country, and... it still didn't matter. xD

Now that I'm blogging, however, I'm more aware of the listicles that come around at this time of year, the ones that talk about summer reads. It seems to me that 'summer reads' equals 'beach reads', and these are often books in the contemporary genre. Now, I don't know if this is a real thing for bookworms or just a trend the media make up, but this leads me to wonder: what makes a good winter read?



When I read in winter, I like to lounge on the couch with a fluffy blanket over me. Once I'm comfortable and warm, I don't want to get up again too soon. The book I read, therefore, should be a book I can really disappear into. For that reason, fantasy would also be perfect, as I would have the time to absorb the world-building while keeping warm. Mysteries - the kind that keeps you flipping the pages - would also be excellent. Big books are great, but not a must.

Then again, mystery and fantasy are the kinds of stories I favour all year round. Would a fan of contemporary stories read the same things as I would when the temperature drops? I'm not sure.


Let's talk!
Do you gravitate toward a certain kind of books in winter?

10 comments:

  1. Fun topic, Cilla! I'm kind of the same in that I read fantasy year round, but I actually prefer mysteries in the winter! And horror! I guess because then they're kind of scarier? And I don't really fancy about reading books set in summer time in the winter because I get jealous... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, I can see how mysteries and horror would fit perfectly in winter! It's dark earlier, it's usually gloomy and rainy, all perfect settings for both kinds of stories! :D And haha that's totally understandable! :D Thanks for stopping by, Annika! <3

      Delete
  2. I don't really read by the series, but you're right that it seems much easier to come up with "beach reads" than winter reads. Unless of course you consider books that have a holiday theme (but I don't read many of them).

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read many books with a holiday theme either! I like holiday movies, but for some reasons I'm not interested in books with the same theme.

      Delete
  3. I usually read longer books in winter, because, as you said, once I'm comfy and warm I really don't want to get up, and I usually don't have the foresight to put a pile of books within arm's reach. I don't think I gravitate towards a specific genre, though! I never really thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting that 'winter reads' isn't as big a... buzzword I think is the best way to put it, as 'summer reads'. I wonder if it's because people who don't usually read will actually pick up a book in the summer. Anyway, thanks for the comment, Clara! :D

      Delete
  4. What a lovely topic to explore! I too tend to find an abundance of summer reads and far too little of those for the winter (rather a shame; as one may or may not be able to tell by my surname, I do have a thing for the coldest of seasons ;)).

    Let us see - I too tend to adore mysteries in the winter, especially those fast-paced and always guessing. I recently picked up 17 and Gone and devoured it - have you read that, dove? I would so recommend it, if not. It is truly lovely, and the ending will blow your mind, I predict!

    Topaz / Six Impossible Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Topaz! Fingers crossed that in the future the preference for summer reads as a category over winter is a trend that will change! I haven't read 17 and Gone, so I will look into that. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. Of course I'll read any genre anytime of the year, but I do tend to pick up lighter, fluffier reads in the summertime. I think "beach reads" are usually books that can be finished in one afternoon and don't necessarily require a great deal of attention just in case you want to get up and cool yourself off in the pool/lake/ocean.

    In the autumn and wintertime, when I cozy up indoors, I prefer thicker novels with rich fantasy worlds that I can escape to. I also prefer books that are maybe tinged slightly with melancholy. It just matches the atmosphere. Oh! And spooky books of course because of Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense! I imagine if I was to read on the beach, I'd be utterly distracted by how hot it was and would prefer a book I didn't have to fully keep track of too! I don't read spooky books ever because I hate horror haha, but you make a good point about Halloween!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)