[Cake Break] Something New

17:23 Cilla 8 Comments


I love Jamie at Perpetual Page-Turner's feature here, where she talks to her readers as if they are meeting up for coffee. I adore getting to know a little more about her this way, so I'd like to follow her lead and maybe make some connections myself! I'm adapting it slightly because I go for sweets over coffee. So, have a cake break and chat with me?



All I have right now are chocolate ripple cookies, but what I'm really craving is this pavlova from my favourite chocolate shop. What are you having/craving?
.
Pavlova

If we were sharing this cake...

I'd confess that initiating this conversation makes me a little nervous. I don't know you well (yet?), and maybe you'd walk away thinking, "Wow, that girl is weird. Let's never do that again." I hope that's not what happens though!

I'd tell you that I'm obsessed with Jane The Virgin. I love Jane as a character, and the episodes make me smile. Some of the shows I watch can be dark or gruesome (Bones, Arrow), so it's nice to have something funny and just the right amount of crazy. Speaking of television shows, I've finally watched Gilmore Girls! It's on tv pretty much every week day at 5.30, so I watch whenever I'm home. I've been resisting Netflix, but I may finally cave when the revival comes around. What shows have you been watching lately?

I'd tell you that I found this recipe when I was trying to figure out what to make with what's in my fridge. It's easy to make and delicious - basically perfect for me. I need more recipes like this! What do you like to cook?

I'd tell you that I'm nearly finished with the first half of my course, and it's both exciting and scary. The exciting bit: my supervisor tells me I'm progressing just as I should, I've gotten good feedback from my clients, and I do feel like I've learned a lot over the course of this year. The scary bit: there's still so much more to learn next year!

I'd ask you if you've ever been homesick, and what you'd do when you are. I've been living away from my family for 6 years, and I've never really gotten overwhelmingly homesick. Every now and again, though, I'd have a craving for my mum's chicken congee, or a specific food from the local hawker. Last week, I bought a bottle of satay sauce and proceeded to dump a generous amount on steamed vegetables and fried chicken. It helped, but it's still not the same.

If we were taking a cake break together, what would you tell me? 
What's been going on with you?
I'd really love to talk, so don't be shy!

8 comments:

  1. This is such a neat post! I definitely love the idea of talking as if we're having cake or tea together :)
    I've watched a bit of Arrow too! I actually really love superheroes, but I just haven't had the time to properly sit down and watch the seasons yet. I'm a big fan of Agents of Shield, though, and it's the one show I'm doing my best to keep up-to-date with!
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling homesick :( I feel that way time to time. I just miss everything about home, from the smell of dinner to just hanging out with my family. Food and books to me are what I turn to, but my cooking is never like the food at home.
    That picture of cake is absolutely mouth-watering...I'm really craving cake right now!
    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love superheroes too! I've never watched Agents of Shield though. I can't keep up with the Marvel Universe - I feel like if you watch one thing, you have to watch them all! Do you think that's true?
      Thanks, Erika <3 My cooking is never like the food at home either! Then again, my cooking skills are very basic haha. :'D
      That pavlova is one of my favourite cakes ever! I'm not sure they make it where you are, but do try it if you ever come down to Australia! :D

      Delete
  2. I would love to share that cake. It looks awesome. Congrats on finishing the first half of your course. I’ve never been homesick, but I’ve never spent more than a few weeks away from my family. I’d probably miss them if I went away for a long time.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy, and it is one of the best cakes I've ever had :D Thank you, AJ! I'm used to being away from my family for long stretches of time, but sometimes it creeps up on me.

      Delete
  3. I've seen some episodes of Jane the Virgin but never got into it enough to really follow it - the ones I've watched were really entertaining, though, and really reminded me of telenovelas on our Indonesian TV screens back when we were younger.

    I cook dinner maybe three-four times a week, and every time I'm almost always stumped as to what to cook. Thanks for sharing that recipe.

    I've also been away from my fam for the same amount of time, and I've also never been reaaally homesick, a fact that I think unsettles my parents more than not, haha. I don't think I do anything though when I feel a bit guilty (because guilt is my own form of homesickness) - I basically just ignore it and shoulder on. Maybe that's unhealthy... but oh well, that's all I can do at the moment.

    (PS: I'm so glad to hear that your course is progressing as it should! Also I'm so sorry I keep forgetting to reply to you on Twitter - I've had no energy for the past few weeks and all I want to do is curl up in a ball and relax and no amount of sleep has shaken me out of this lethargy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I though of Amigos and such when I was watching it haha. It may be that I used to watch a number of those telenovelas that I'm really hooked on Jane now. xD

      I hope you like the recipe when you try it! My cooking usually amounts to a poor man's version of Masterchef's Mystery Box, aka, "what's in my fridge that I can toss together?"

      Haha, in my first year I had to deal with some mildly-snide comments from my parents about how I never missed them. xD I think we all deal with our feelings differently, as long as the negative ones don't fester too long. ^_^

      Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the lethargy D: I hope things will get easier and that you're surrounded by people you can talk to (or let you relax and catch up on some energy!)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love the idea of this post so much. <3

    I haven't seen Jane the Virgin, but I am glad you are enjoying it! I've actually... never ever seen Gilmore Girls. I feel like I should though! It's so iconic. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I started Westworld. I'm not watching it a lot, like one episode a week for when I don't have anything to do, but I'm... enjoying it, to an extent.

    Oooh, thanks for sharing that recipe! I cook my lunch for the next day every weekday if I go to work. I usually prepare a meat and a salad. Otherwise, I'm more of a baker! I like making cookies and cheesecakes.

    I'm still at home, so I haven't felt much homesickness. :( I do know that, when I do leave home, I will feel homesickness. For me, home IS where the heart is. I'm very close to my parents and sibling too. So, while it'd be a significant move to leave home, I can't say I'm looking forward to it... yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie deserves the credit for the idea of the post :D

      I'd never seen Gilmore Girls until early this year! I realised it was on reruns pretty much every workday on TV haha. It's definitely cosy TV for me. I highly recommend Jane The Virgin! It's entertaining and has nuanced portrayals about motherhood.

      You're welcome! I hope you like it if you get around to trying it. Do you have an easy cookies or cheesecake recipe? I'm not much of a baker, but I'm tempted to try my hand at it over the holiday period.

      <3 I hope when you do leave home, you won't have to go very far, and hopefully you'll be ready by then so you won't be too homesick! It can be hard being away from your family, but it can be really exciting and a real growing experience too. I never really knew how to cook until I had to feed myself, haha.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)