[Cilla's 2016 Highlight Reels] Music and Movies

08:00 Cilla 4 Comments



I've always loved reading end-of-year best-of lists. Now that I have my own blog, I thought I'd write a couple of my own! Every day from 28 to 31 December, I'll be sharing some of the highlights of my 2016 in music, movies, television shows, books (of course), and life.

For this post, I'm going to highlight my favourite tunes and movies of the last year. Writing this up makes me realise I've gone to the movies a grand total of 1 time this year though. So if you have any recommendations on which ones to catch up on, hit me up in the comments!



Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I'm forever torn between wishing JKR would stop adding to the Potter world, just in case it ruins my memory of it, and excited whenever she does come up with something new. Fantastic Beasts, fortunately, is a lovely addition to the canon. It put a smile on my face from start to finish. The only thing that would make it better is if it hadn't included Johnny Depp.

Zootopia - I may be 25 year old, but I still have a soft spot for Disney movies. To be fair, Zootopia is full of themes that adults should pay attention to, like stereotyping and discrimination. 

Matilda, the Musical - I'm cheating with this one, because it's not a movie. It is a fantastic musical though, and if you love the original story, you'd likely love this interpretation too. Tim Minchin's songs are brilliant; for example, listen to The School Song. Also, When I Grow Up makes me slightly teary every time I hear it.



Carrie Underwood's Storyteller - Carrie won American Idol at the peak of my obsession with the show, and I've loved every album she's put out since. Storyteller is an apt title of this album, because it is full of stories. I had the whole album on repeat for about two weeks, and I'm still not tired of it. I do have favourites though! I keep hitting 'play' on Relapse and Chaser.

Hamilton, Original Broadway Cast Recording - Is there anything else that needs to be said about how good Hamilton is? Hip-hop isn't usually my genre of preference, so it took me a while to get into Hamilton. When I finally did, however, there was no going back. Favourite tracks: Satisfied and The Room Where It Happens.

Alessia Cara's Know-It-All - 'I just came to kick it but really/I would rather be at home all by myself not in this room/With people who don't even care about my well-being'. Finally, a song that speaks to the introvert that is me. Alessia's whole album is another one that I can't seem to get tired of. For me, there's not a single dud in the album, but My Song and Here hold special places in my heart.

Honorary mentions: When He Sees Me by Sara Bareilles. Hell No by Ingrid Michaelson. From Here to Zero by David Cook. Youth by Troye Sivan.


Click here for my favourite TV shows of 2016.

Would any of the ones mentioned above make your favourite lists? 
What movie should I have seen this year? Which one are you looking forward to next year?
Rec me some music too!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Zootopia and Fantastic Beasts so much! I usually don't go to the movies, but I actually went a lot this year. I also really loved Moana and Rogue One, although I'm still not over Rogue One. I really don't think I ever will be.

    As for music, I LOVE Hamilton! I haven't listened to a lot of Alessia Cara, but I like what I've heard and I really want to listen to more by her. And When He Sees Me is one of my favorite Sara Bareilles songs! I think my favorite albums of the year have been Death of a Bachelor by Panic! at the Disco and In Our Bones by Against the Current.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me that I still need to go see Moana! I haven't even watched The Force Awakens - that's how behind I am with movies. 🙈

      Ooh you should give the rest of Alessia's album a shot! I think it's one of those rare albums where I like every song and not just the singles. Panic! at the Disco isn't usually my kind of music, but I haven't heard of Against the Current! I'll have to give that one a try.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved Fantastic Beasts and Zootopia! They're such great movies, and I would 100% watch them again and again! I also saw the Matilda musical too--that was so good! I have yet to listen to Hamilton yet, but I really need to. Hopefully soon!

    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I'm planning on getting a DVD of Fantastic Beasts as soon as it comes out! You should definitely listen to Hamilton soon - it deserves all the hype and praises it's gotten!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! It makes my day to hear your thoughts and I will respond asap. :)